from visitors to the Foodily.com website and what we do with it.
1. Information Collected From You on the Service
Information You Submit to Us
You may provide information to us through the Service, such as the following:
• Contact information, such as name and email address
• An image that will become your public profile photo
• Your ZIP code
• URLs of your pages on other social media sites (e.g., your Twitter page)
• Personal information in content you post (e.g., in photos from your mobile device)
• Any of the above information, or other information, that we collect when you establish a connection with a third-party social network platform (see the end of the section below for details)
Automatically Collected Information
Cookies are files that websites and online services create and access on your computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information or settings on your device. Our Service may use HTTP cookies, HTML5 cookies, Flash cookies and other types of local storage (such as browser-based or plugin-based local storage). Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict or disable certain cookies. To learn more about some types of browser cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.
You also may be able to delete your Flash cookies or adjust your Flash cookie settings by visiting the Adobe Flash Website Storage Settings Manager by following Adobe’s instructions here (instructions vary depending on your operating system and version of Flash). Please note, however, that without cookies or local storage you may not be able to use all of the features of our Service.
Through our apps, we or third parties may collect information similar to the data mentioned above. We also may collect unique device identifiers (such as advertising IDs) and other mobile-specific types of information. For example, depending on your device and/or browser settings, we may collect your device’s geolocation.
2. Use of Your Information
We use the information we collect to provide the Service and for other purposes, including to generate advertising-related revenue that supports the Service. Uses may include:
• To verify your identity and establish your account;
• To create, tailor, deliver and study the effectiveness of advertising and promotional material both on and off of the Service, as well as for analytics (including as described in the Analytics, Advertising and Do-Not-Track section below);
• To administer sweepstakes, contests and surveys;
• To moderate content and to try to keep the Service safe;
• To detect, investigate or respond to security issues;
• To analyze, customize and personalize the Service;
• To improve the Service and to research and develop innovative features and new services;
• To safeguard our and others’ rights or property;
• To create aggregated, anonymized or de-identified information, which we may use and disclose without restriction;
• To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding unlawful or harmful activities, including potential threats to the physical safety of a person, potential fraud, and violations of our Terms of Service;
• To otherwise administer and troubleshoot the Service; and
• To contact you for other purposes.
3. Sharing Your Information
We may share your information to provide the Service and for other purposes. For example, we may share your information:
• As part of the expanding and evolving social aspects of the Service, for example:
o We publish your profile photo and name on a public profile page, along with (subject to any applicable settings) your friends/followers list; and recipes you have faved, listed or recommended;
o We publish comments you have made to recipes.
o Subject to your settings, we may publish the content you post;
o We may publish information through other sharing and publishing features on the Service;
o We may offer a feature in which we allow anyone with your contact information (such as email address or telephone number) to find you through tools we may provide, such as contact importers, even if you have not shared your contact information with them on the Service;
o If you connect your Foodily account to your account on another service (for example, to enable cross-posting), we and the other service may exchange registration info, profile info, or other details;
• At your direction (such as when you authorize a third-party app or social networking service to access your Foodily account);
• When you use the Service to interface with a third-party service (for example, if you use a feature that allows you to buy recipe ingredients on a third-party website, we may share some information with that third party);
• With companies that perform services for us, with us, or on our behalf, including without limitation advertising and data companies, providers of technical infrastructure and support, order fulfillment companies, content moderation companies, and e-mail service providers;
• With other members of our evolving corporate family;
• With our joint marketing partners;
• In connection with efforts to detect and address fraud, credit risk, security or technical issues;
• Without restriction when the information is aggregated, anonymized or de-identified;
• In connection with significant corporate events (for example, we may share or disclose information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets — such as in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution or liquidation — or take steps in anticipation of any such event);
• When we believe in good faith that such sharing is reasonably necessary in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible unlawful activities or to comply with legal process or other legal requirements; when we deem disclosure appropriate in situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, potential violations of our terms (such as our Terms of Service), or claims of violation of the rights of third parties; or when we deem disclosure appropriate to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our employees, users, or another person or entity (the disclosures described here may involve the sharing of your information with, for example, law enforcement, government agencies, courts, or other parties); and
• In any other circumstance where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted by law to share it.
4. Analytics, Advertising and Do-Not-Track
Online Analytics Providers
To help us better understand your use of the Service, we may use third-party analytics on our Service, such as Google Analytics or Flurry. These third parties use the sorts of technologies described in the “Automatically Collected Information” section above. The information collected by this technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. (We also may use these third parties’ technology as described in the following section.) To restrict Google Analytics’ handling of your information, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on. You also may visit Flurry’s Opt Out page to restrict Flurry’s handling of your information.
Advertising Technology Providers
Data about your activities on our Service may be collected by advertising technology providers for use in delivering advertising (both online and offline) tailored to your individual characteristics, activities, interests and other factors. These ad services may track your online activities over time by collecting information through automated means, including through the use of the automated technologies described above, and they may use this information, and other information they receive from us or other sources, to deliver advertisements to you. We and third-party vendors may use first-party cookies and third-party cookies together, and other automated technologies, and in some cases additional information, (i) to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on past visits to our Service or other factors and (ii) to report how ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our Service or other factors.
You may visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s Consumer Opt-Out Link, the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance “Your Online Choices” page or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Opt-Out Link to opt out of receiving tailored advertising based on your Internet browsing activities from companies that participate in those programs. Some of our advertising-related activities may involve the services of companies that do not participate in those programs. To opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page. The opt-outs apply only to the browser in which you set them. For example, if you set the opt-out while using Firefox, but then use Chrome, the opt-out will not be active in Chrome. To opt out in Chrome, you will need to repeat the opt-out process.
Similar data collection takes place via our apps for advertising purposes. In modern versions of Apple iOS, certain ad-related preferences that will be communicated to companies collecting data for in-app advertisements. For more information, or to use these mechanisms, consult your device settings. Flurry also offers its own app-based advertising opt-out, which is described in the “Online Analytics Providers” above.
Do Not Track Disclosure
Some third parties’ data collection tools or embedded content, plugins or other technology on the Service, such as cookies or social media sharing buttons, may allow their operators to learn about your interaction with our Service, and they may combine this information with other, identifiable information they have collected about your visits to other websites or online services. These third parties may handle this information, and other information they directly collect through their technology, pursuant to their own privacy policies or practices. We do not change our own collection of information in response to web browser “do-not-track” signals or other third-party tools that let consumers exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information. Also, we generally do not require third parties collecting information on our websites and online services to respond to these technologies.
5. Your Choices, and How to Remove Your Content and Information
We offer a variety of convenient self-serve options for updating your information and indicating your preferences. To access the Settings menu, login to foodily.com, click the ☰ icon in the upper-right corner and then click the “Settings” option. From the menu that appears, you can:
• Modify your profile and account information.
• Change your password.
• Adjust certain sharing settings, such as whether your public profile page will contain more than just your profile photo and name.
• Adjust certain notification preferences.
• Remove or change your public profile photo; and
• Adjust your connections with external social networks.
Be sure to hit “Save” after making changes. (The Foodily iOS app presently offers access to some but not all of these options. For the limited options available in the app, login, click the ☰ icon in the upper-left corner and then click on “Account Settings.”)
While logged in, you can also:
• Remove a recipe you have posted by:
o on foodily.com, clicking on Recipes in the upper right, clicking on Originals, and then clicking on the X next to the recipe; OR
o in the iOS app, clicking on the ☰ icon in the upper-left corner, clicking on Originals, swiping from right to left on the recipe and then clicking Delete;
• Hide a recipe you posted from public view by visiting it on foodily.com, clicking “Edit recipe” and then clicking “Save privately.”
• Remove a comment you made by clicking “Delete” next to it while logged into foodily.com.
• Unfavorite something you previously favorited, and remove it from a list, by visiting the recipe and clicking “Fave” or “Add to list” and unchecking some or all of the lists. You can see all of your lists, faves and recommendations by
o on foodily.com, clicking on Recipes in the upper right and then clicking on Lists, Faves or Recommends; OR
o in the iOS app, clicking on the ☰ icon in the upper-left corner and then on Lists, and then clicking again on either Lists, Faves or Recommends.
• Delete a list by clicking on Recipes in the upper-right of foodily.com, and then on Lists. From there, you can click on the X in the upper right of your list.
The removal and deletion options may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you posted on the Service. For example, it generally will not remove content or information that has been stored, shared or re-posted by other users and other third parties.
The law of your country you may give you additional rights to access, correct, update or delete certain personal information we hold about you. Your country may also give you additional rights to object to our processing of your personal information or to withdraw your consent to our processing of your information. You may contact us as described below to make these requests.
6. Deleting Your Account
To delete your account, please send an email to email@example.com from the email address we have on file for your account. We reserve the right to permanently erase your account from our systems immediately or at any time after we receive the request or to preserve a record of the account for some time for legitimate business purposes and as required by law. (We also reserve the right to delete accounts on our own initiative.) In some cases, the deletion process may take some time. Account deletion may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you posted on or submitted to the Service.
7. International Data Transfers
While Mindspark is headquartered in the United States, the Service may be accessed from other parts of the world. By accessing the Service, you agree to the transfer of your information to the U.S. and to any other country of our choosing. These countries have privacy laws that differ from the privacy laws of your country.
We understand the importance of the security of the information we collect, but we cannot promise that our security measures will eliminate all security risks or succeed in avoiding security breaches. When you provide information to us, you do so at your own risk. Please help to do your part by taking steps such as (1) using a strong, unique password for our Service that never has and never will be used anywhere else, (2) protecting the confidentiality of your password, and periodically changing it, (3) accessing our Service only from devices that have an up-to-date operating system and up-to-date security software, and (4) notifying us of any suspected unauthorized activity or any breach of the confidentiality of your password. If the confidentiality of your password has been breached, you also must change your password immediately via your “Settings” page on foodily.com. Taking these steps will not guarantee security but may help lower the risk or impact of certain security threats. Please also see the important security warning in the next section.
9. Third Party Links and Services
The Service is not intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect (or knowingly allow any third party to collect) personal information from persons under the age of 13. If we conclude that personal information has been collected from a person under the age of 13, we will delete this information and terminate the person’s account. If you believe that we may have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, please contact us using the contact information below.
11. Changes to this Policy
12. How to Contact Us
Last updated: April 24, 2015